Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 2: Development

I am a composer!

It feels good to be able to say that. Not, I write music, but I AM A COMPOSER!!

I started my college career at the tender age of 18, which is when most people start college. I decided to major in music, but only because I love music, and I couldn't think of anything else to major in so music was actually just a bit of a fall back. I was a vocal major and I thoroughly enjoyed singing, but even though my teachers all said I had incredible potential, something just wasn't connecting between me and classical singing. Apparently, something wasn't connecting between me and school either, because I dropped out of school after one year.

Now here I am... 8 years later, 1 year away from my B.M in Composition and Recording Arts feeling quite confident that I am exactly where I need to be.


Today I presented my orchestral piece to my Composition instructor and gritted my teeth thinking he would tell me, "Okay. It's okay". But to my shock and amazement, he said nothing of the sort.
"You're a professional!"
My heart welled with satisfaction. This man is hard to impress. And if you'd every heard his credentials, or any of his work you'd understand why. He proceeded to tell me how great my music is and asked me how I "jumped into the world of professionals". He was impressed. And I was encouraged. I took a brief stroll into my musical past this week. I listened to my old compositions and I could see how my music had progressed. I'm so happy to be coming into my own.

I was made for this!!!

I'm developing my craft!

And I love it!

~M~


Share This Article!

Add To Facebook