Monday, January 17, 2011

The Best Potato Soup EVER!

So my parents came down for Christmas and I made a special meal that included roasting a few chickens and I needed some fresh rosemary. Only thing is, the store was out of the individual packs of fresh rosemary. So I was forced to buy a rosemary plant. Now mind you, prior to this, I had purchased TWO rosemary plants, both of which died within a week of me having them. So, I wasn't very interested in buying a new plant, but I was DESPERATE for some rosemary. So I bought it, and figured, at the very least I just payed 2 dollars more than normal for the same amount of rosemary.

One Month Later...

Rosa Maria (the name of my Rosemary plant... get it!! lol)

She's still alive and very much kicking. WOW! I water it every two days and leave it on the windowsill in the day time so the sun can hit it and it's great. If you're into fresh herbs... Invest. it only costs 3.99

But I digress...

The parentals also overstocked my house with food that either I hate or ended up going bad (I'm only one person. I can only eat so much at a time). One thing that didn't go bad, but I STILL have a lot of are potatoes. I have a drawer full of potatoes... and that's about ALL I have to eat in my house right now, LOL.

Well, I had been searching and researching meal ideas to utilize this beautiful rosemary that I have sitting in my house, when it dawned on me... Besides chicken, one of the best foods EVER to combine with rosemary is... You guessed it

POTATOES!!!

So I decided to make potato soup.

THE BEST EVER POTATO SOUP... EVER

Ingredients:
4 Medium sized Idaho Potatoes
1/4 of a medium sized yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Olive Oil and Rosemary Sprigs for garnish

Sidebar: For those of you that normally read my blog you're prolly thinking, WHAT?? Measurements? I NEVER measure the ingredients in my personal recipes, and I never follow the measurements when I use someone elses. LOL. But this time I thought I'd create a recipe that can be repeated precisely so I measured EVERYTHING I used.



Step 1: Peel Your Potatoes
Step 2: Chop them into approx 1-2 inch sized pieces

Step 3: Slice or chop your garlic and onions (it doesn't matter the size. We're gana blend them down later)


Crocodile Tears
Onions always make me cry
Step 4: Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. And keep your eyes on it. Garlic burns quickly. Keep cooking until onions are starting to soften and turning translucent.

Step 5: Add Potatoes, Salt, Rosemary and Red Pepper flakes. Stir and cook until potatoes start to soften.


I take the leaves off and put them in and also I put the stem in. I will fish it out later.
Step 6: Add Chicken Broth. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and cover. Simmer for about 20 mins or until potatoes are tender.

Now fish your rosemary stem out.

Step 7: Get your Immersion Blender (or magic wand as I like to call it.)

Step 8: Add Parmesan Cheese and Whipping Cream


Step 9: Time to blend!!!
Blend your soup to desired consistency. You can leave some potato chunks for more heartiness or blend it comepletely smooth. I left some chunks.

FINITO!!!

Serve with a garnish of Olive Oil and Fresh Rosemary Leaves

Now, about this soup...
Okay, so I cook like ALL the time. And out of all the things I do, cooking is prolly what I do the best. I love my food and all of my friends love it and compliment it all the time. I very rarely cook food that is not good so I don't really get surprised when my food comes out good. But this soup... IT WAS PHENOMENAL!!! It shocked my life!!! I challenge you to eat just one bowl of this soup. I couldn't. I went back for another bowl and even after as I was preparing dinner I kept sneaking to the pot for more spoonfulls (as if I had to sneak... lol) I haven't licked a dish in YEARS, but this bowl... I licked clean.



SEE!!!



And best of all, I actually measured ingredients so I can reproduce this soup with the same results. I'm ecstatic!!

Happy Eating

~M~


Share This Article!

Add To Facebook