Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I heart Kitchen Stuff

Part I
I spent so much money this past week... Bought lots of stuff I wanted, needed, and wanted to need.

I'm most ecstatic about my Cuisinart Hand Blender (Also called an Immersion Blender). So far I've made smoothies :)
Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie


Pina Colada Smoothie (non-alcoholic)

Making Smoothies is sooooo easy with my hand blender. I just use 1 cup of crushed Ice, 1/4 cup of liquid, 1/2 a cup of fruit and 4 oz of yogurt. What Liquid, Fruit, and yogurt you use is up to what flavor smoothie you're making.


Pina Colada Smoothie
Fresh Coconut
Fresh Pineapple
Vanilla Yogurt
The "milk" in the fresh coconut
The juice from the pineapple
Crushed Ice (I buy mine from Sonic)

THAT'S ALL!! Blend and enjoy.

Part II

I've been DYING for a Cast Iron Skillet. Well, I can now live! My parents bought me one for Christmas! :D(that's my kool-aid smile).

Easy Baked Chicken
Whole Chicken Leg, skinned
Dried Basil
Dried Oregano
Dried Parsely
Paprika
Dried Minced Onions
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Soy sauce
Step 1: Clean your Chicken!
Get rid of all the extra slimy stuff and skin and trim off excess fat. Unless you like that sort of thing. Then by all means... Keep it on. Then pat dry with paper towels.

Step 2: Make your dry rub.
You can choose how you want to blend it. When it comes to herbs and spices that's very much about personal preference. A good tip tho... The more onions you use, the less salt you'll need (In case you're on a low sodium diet, or hate the prospect of having high blood pressure when you get older)

Step 3: Rub your chicken with Olive Oil and then with your dry rub until completely covered.


 Then place it in your Cast Iron Skillet (or any pan that can be used in the oven.


My Cast Iron skillet! Isn't she beautiful! :)

Step 4: Pop into the oven and bake for 20 mins. Then flip your chicken and bake for 20 more minutes. Take your chicken out of the oven. It should look like this....

... or something close.

Step 5: Remove your chicken from the pan with a some tongs (or your hands if you're daring) and immediately pour your balsamic vinegar into your pan followed by your soy sauce.

This process is called deglazing your pan. Stir with a wooden spoon scraping all drippings and leftover seasoning up from the bottom of the pan. You will end with a beautiful glaze.
... like this.

Step 5: Pour glaze over top of your chicken and ENJOY!!! :)



This recipe is great because it is soooooooo easy. If you don't feel like cooking there isn't much to this and it's so FLAVORFUL! I promise you will have a food-gasm. The potatoes are easy too. Simple wrap a potato in foil, pop in oven, cut in pieces and put on a plate. Take about 1 TBSP of salted butter and 1 clove of garlic minced and cook over low heat on the stove until the garlic is toasted and pour over top of the potatoes. Prep time for this meal is about 10 minutes. Food is done in about 1 hour.

Happy Eating
~M~


Share This Article!

Add To Facebook