Sunday, September 19, 2010

My accidental experiment

So I was told that shopping the exterior of the grocery store rather than the aisles is not only healthier for you but less expensive.  Well, that seems logical enough I suppose so I never questioned it. But I also never tested it. Until Friday. Let's just call it an accidental experiment because I didn't set out to test a theory.  I made my meal plan for the week, then wrote a shopping list according to it and set out to Earth Fare. For those that don't know, Earth Fare is a FABULOUS health food supermarket. EVERYTHING in the store is fresh Fresh FRESH!

Earth Fare's Philosphy:
Earth Fare sells foods that are as close to the ground as it gets.

So none of their foods have hydgrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils, no HFCS, artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, no antiobiotics, synthetic growth hormones or animal by-products in the feed for the meats... you get the picture. Heaven on earth in the form of a grocery store.

As you can also guess, Earth Fare is EXPENSIVE! Once I  shopped there and then found everything cheaper at Publix so I took everything back to Earth Fare. LOL! But I digress.

So as it turns out, most of the things that were necessary for my meals for the week were found along the exterior of the story. I had a cart full of fresh produce, 1 whole chicken, 4 chicken legs, two breasts, a tilapia filet, some fresh peanut butter. I had granola and MUCH MUCH MORE. I had enough food to make 3 square meals and 2 snacks every day for a week. Checked out at $100. PHENOMENAL. Then I head to Publix to buy a few prepackaged necessary items. Turns out that everything I bought at Publix was from the aisles (as opposed to the perimeter.... directly contrary to my shopping at Earth Fare experience). The only difference was, I got like 20 items. So I'm thinking, I just spent $100 dollars at Earth Fare, surely I won't exceed $50 here. But much to my shock and chagrin, I spent... ONE HUNDRED WHOPPING DOLLARS!!!

WHAT WENT WRONG????

Well, let's look at the facts.

Earth Fare
  • A more expensive store
  • Shopped Exterior
Publix
  • A less expensive store
  • Shopped Interior
Both
  • Spent $100
So..... My pretty educated guess is that shopping the exterior of the store really is cheaper.

~M~


Share This Article!

Add To Facebook