Sunday, September 26, 2010

Leftover Days

Every now and then I have a "throw in the pot" meal, where I just throw whatever in the pot that is starting to lose it's freshness. Money is tight round these parts, so I can't have my food going bad!!!

So this weekend, I decided to roast a chicken, and for my sides I threw in the pot all of the veggies I had in my veggie bin. My task, use the rest of a bunch of green onions, some ginger, fresh rosemary, some potatoes, some celery, some carrots, half a red onion, about 3/4 of a red pepper, 1 tomatoe, half a cucumber, half a head of cabbage and some turkey bacon. WHAT A TASTY TASK!!!

For starters, 3 of the best smelling cooking fragrances are Celery, Onions, and Ginger...

BUT...
I digress

Roast Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Veggies

On Hand:
1 stalk (?) fresh rosemary
some fresh ginger
a few stalks of green onion
1/3 of a fresh lemon
a few stalks of celery
a few carrots
some red onion
about 4 or 5 baby red potatoes
Some Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Paprika
onion powder
black pepper
dried Thyme


So I chopped the green onion, ginger and lemon. Rubbed the inside cavity of the chicken with some kosher salt and some black pepper and stuffed the green onion, ginger, lemon and rosemary inside. Rubbed the whole outside of the chicken with Kosher salt, then mixed all of the above listed spices in a bowl and rubbed them on the chicken. Wrapped it in Saran Wrap then put in the refrigerator over night. Next day I chopped the sliced the celery, carrots and red onion and layered them in the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan. I put the chicken breast down on top of the veggies. Sliced the red potatoes thinly with skin on and layered them around the bird. Sprinkled kosher salt and balck pepper on top of the potatoes. Covered the whole thing with foil and cooked for about 1 hr and 15 minutes. Turned the bird over (breast up) and cooked for 10 more mins to brown the breast. Removed the bird from the oven and let it rest for about 15 mins.







 Spicy Cabbage with Bacon

On Hand:
About half a head of cabbage
about 3/4 of a red pepper
4 strips of turkey bacon
a yellow onion
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper


So I thinly (very thinly) sliced the cabbage. Set aside. Slice half the yellow onion. Slice the Red pepper. Chop bacon. Pour olive oil in a pot. Saute the onions and red pepper together. Add kosher salt, cayenne and black pepper to taste (it's supposed to be spicy so add A LOT). Add chopped bacon. Then add cabbage in batches making sure to thoroughly mix the cabbage with the pepper sauce. Steam on medium heat for about 10 mins. Turn off the burner and let the steam and residual heat cook it the rest of the way. (If you like softer cabbage you can cook it longer).







Tomato Cucumber Salad

On Hand:
1 tomato
half a cucumber
about 1/3 a red onion
Raspberry Vinaigrette

So I just sliced the tomato. Sliced the Cucumber. Sliced about 1/8 of the red onion. Mixed in a bowl and added about 3 TBSP Raspberry Vinaigrette.








And for Dessert....

Oatmeal raisin cookie bars w/ White Chocolate

I followed the recipe on the Quaker Oats box top, halved it and instead of making cookies (because I couldn't find my cookie sheet) I pressed it into a well oiled 8x8 square glass baking pan. I sprinkled some slivered almonds on top and baked at 350 for 35 mins. When the bars cooled slightly I cut them and took them out the pan. I melted some white chocolate and drizzled it on top. YUMMMM!!!!


Happy Eating

~M~







Share This Article!

Add To Facebook